This tater tots and bratwurst casserole is a quick and easy meal that is definitely kid-friendly but also great for parties and tail-gating.
It combines bratwurst, sauerkraut, tater tots, and loads of cheese — a perfect combination in our book that’s hard to go wrong with.
While it adds some cooking time, we prefer to simmer our brats first in beer, although you can dice them up and brown in a pan to save a little time.
This bratwurst casserole will make about 6 to 8 servings and takes about 45 minutes to prepare, cook, and serve.
Our bratwurst casserole recipe was adapted from the Brats n Tots recipe found at Taste of Home.
Tater Tots and Bratwurst Casserole Ingredients
1 lb of brats
2 large white onions
Six pack of beer
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 can (16 oz) of sauerkraut
1 can (10 oz) of condensed cheddar soup
1/4 cup of milk
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 package (32 oz) of tater tots
Tater Tots and Bratwurst Cooking Instructions
1. Simmer your brats in beer for about 15 minutes, using equal parts beer and water and slicing and adding onions. Set brats to the side and add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a skillet and turn on low to medium heat. Add brats to the skillet and cook until browned, which should take about 5 minutes. Dice your brats up into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Pre-heat your oven to 425F.
3. Open the can of sauerkraut and rinse and drain. Lightly grease your casserole dish and add the sauerkraut to the bottom, spreading it out evenly.
4. Layer your bratwurst evenly on top of the sauerkraut.
5. Mix the condensed cheddar soup with the milk, then pour on top of the brats.
6. Add your tater tots to the top as the final layer and sprinkle on one cup of shredded cheddar cheese (leaving one cup of cheese remaining).
7. Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes. Add the last cup of cheeseÂ when the tater tots have browned up and are crispyÂ and cook for another five minutes, just long enough for the cheese to melt.